A wedding licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the appropriate needs to be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a 2-part document. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage plus the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The full document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) must certanly be fond of the wedding officiant which will be performing your wedding. This can be a appropriate document and needs to be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate instead of a wedding licence.
There are not any residency or citizenship needs.
There’s no right time frame that have to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta together with date a wedding licence is given.
Blood tests are not necessary.
A married relationship licence is valid for a few months through the date its given.
A marriage can take spot the day that is same wedding licence is given. There isn’t any time that is waiting.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever having the wedding licence, you have to:
- Use together in the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, seek the advice of a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal the entire names and delivery places of the moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply cannot:
- Be intoxicated by a medication or liquor
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either person getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically reduced
- Either individual getting hitched can be an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you should be 18 yrs. Old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Seek advice from a registry agent for full details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if one of many couple usually do not have acceptable ID
You simply can’t be currently hitched (either to one another or somebody else).
Your legal marital status must be among the following:
- Proof breakup is necessary; the divorce or separation document provided should be the document that is finalfor instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A breakup document that says a wedding is dissolved in X timeframe just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that last documents had been filed or perhaps the breakup had been contested through that time.
- Divorce or separation documents that aren’t in English should be translated; talk with a registry representative for translation demands.
- A death certification of this dead partner is maybe not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No marital status documents are required.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be issued by way of a court, the individuals marital status reverts returning to exactly exactly exactly what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took spot. The last marital status may need to be proven. For instance:
wife for sell
- Once the marital status before the annulment is divorced, proof of breakup should be supplied along with a duplicate regarding the court ordered annulment
- If the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a married relationship had been annulled, a duplicate associated with the court ordered annulment should be provided. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English must certanly be translated. Talk to a registry representative for translation needs.
When getting a married relationship licence, each associated with people who can be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is necessary. Whenever an interpreter will become necessary, it really is your obligation to offer one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English together with language needing interpretation
Once the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient when you look at the other language, then that registry representative worker might function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There is certainly a $40 federal federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge solution charge. Service charges differ among registry agents.
Simple tips to use
Step one. Make sure you meet the criteria to try to get a married relationship licence
The wedding must certanly be place that is taking Alberta over the following a few months.
Before using, make certain you as well as your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Simply take your appropriate ID to you to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for example breakup papers. Contact a registry representative, they could verify exactly what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your intended spouse, appropriate ID and papers, thereby applying for a wedding licence.
When you use
A married relationship licence is granted as you wait.
If you fail to have got all the given information and papers needed, the method may be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence into the ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document really closely for mistakes whenever you receive it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have errors corrected instantly.
Ahead of the ceremony happens, errors may be corrected by way of a registry representative.
Following the ceremony occurs, mistakes needs to be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied once the wedding licence had been released.
Relate genuinely to Alberta Vital Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory vacations) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Vital Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5